Court Yard Hounds Album Review

I was asked to review the new Court Yard Hounds Album - Amelita.  I was pretty excited to hear what they sound like because I really liked the Dixie Chicks back in the day.

http://www.one2onenetwork.com/Userfiles/Court_Yard_Hounds/CYH_Cover.jpg

Link to AMAZON or iTUNEs to buy the album.

The Court Yard Hounds are made up of Emily Robison and Martie Maguire who were in the Dixie Chicks.  Emily states, "We're a band, not a side project.  We like our sound, and we're going to continue to do this, and share something new this time around."  After a few years away from the limelight and the Dixie Chicks, the two sisters were ready to get back into the studio with the creation of Court Yard Hounds.  Amelita, out now, marks the Court Yard Hounds' second album.

Amelita contains 11 new tracks.  Robison and Maguire took a different approach with Amelita than their debute album in 2010.  This album contains a new perspective, which is due in part to time passed since Robison's divorce.  "I've been freed of all those time-heals-everything kind of things," says Robison.  "Now, I've opened up to other ideas and ways of looking at life and the world.  I think it's not only a more hopeful album, but it's more...well fun."

"I love this band...the way we explore new aspects of ourselves and what we can expect from each other, both musically and as people," says Martie.  "We are close.  Plus, being on the road and being in the studio is like my spa from the everyday challenges of just being a mom."  The Court Yard Hounds' new album is a clear statement of who the girls are as artists, defining their sound as a band, with soaring songs that are personal, yet familiar and widely relatable.

Below is the track listing and I'll provide my comments of what I think of each track.


Amelita Track Listing:
  1. Sunshine - This song sounds like a song by Merril Bainbridge.  Which I like but I was not expecting Court Yard Hounds to have this type of sound.  Figured they'd be country as usual.  The track does have a nice sound.  Although, the lyrics are kind of confusing. 
  2. Amelita - Good beat and catchy.  They sound like Sheryl Crow here.
  3. The World Smiles - This is another song that sounds like Merril Bainbridge.  I'm not a fan of this song for some reason.  Might be the negative Nelly in me. haha
  4. Aimless Upward - It is an ok song.
  5. Guy Like You - It's an ok song.  Kind of sounds like Sheryl Crow again.  Slow, mellow type of song.
  6. Rock All Night - Upbeat Sheryl Crow type of song.
  7. Phoebe - Very country type of song.  The lyrics somewhat remind me of "Mean" by Taylor Swift.  I like that they're doing some country on this album. 
  8. Divided - This is a song about divorce and I can't relate.  Slow song.  Kind of sad and depressing.
  9. Gets You Down - Slow song.  It is just ok.
  10. Watch Your Step - Good beat, good line dancing song.  This is the song where my head is bopping.  I also hear a Deana Carter type of sound.  Love that. 
  11. The Road You Take - Can totally relate to this song.
Court Yard Hounds on Twitter.
Court Yard Hounds on Facebook.
Emily Robison on Twitter.
Martie McGuire on Twitter.

Overall, there are some good tunes on the album.  The track that really stands out for me is #10 Watch Your Step.  Very country and very upbeat.  This is the first time I've actually listened to The Court Yard Hounds so I'm not sure what their first album was like so I'm not sure how they've evolved.  Although, I do like the country sounding tunes better than the other ones. I honestly cannot relate to most of the lyrics but I can relate mostly to #11 The Road You Take.  Talks about love and about not being afraid to give your heart away. 



http://www.one2onenetwork.com/Userfiles/Court_Yard_Hounds/CYH_1.jpg

I participated in this campaign for One2One Network.  I received a free copy of the CD to facilitate my review.  By posting, I am eligible for incentives.  All opinions stated are my own.

Comments

Popular Posts