Saturday, July 7, 2012

Volunteering

So today I was supposed to volunteer at the Vectren Air Show.  I signed up to volunteer just to help out and get me out of the house.  Well, I ended up not volunteering. 

Let me first start out by saying that I don't think I've had one good volunteering experience yet.  I've volunteered a few times now.

My first volunteer experience was with a group of co-workers.  We basically worked a food stand at a University of Dayton basketball game.  We were raising money for our work picnic and we got to keep a portion of the proceeds.  It was fun working with my co-workers but we also had to deal with the normal food workers.  They basically bossed us around like we were beneath them.  Made me feel like crap and I couldn't wait to get out of there!  I will never volunteer for that again.  I don't know what made them treat us like that.  But it left a bad taste in my mouth.  We raised a bunch of money though - maybe around $600?  Or more? 

The next time I volunteered was at the tax center on base.  We went to class to learn how to do taxes.  I was excited to do this because I loved tax classes when I was in college.  Well, then came the real stuff.  I had these military people come in and expected me to know everything about the tax law.  I never felt like I did it right and felt like I was bugging the head tax guy there too much.  I eventually just stopped after a while.  I didn't feel like I was helping anyways.

Then one winter I decided to help out a local trail race.  I got there and felt like an idiot from the very beginning.  The other volunteers acted like why are you here, we don't need you.  I worked the cash register and after I was done with that (and the race started) I was sort of standing around and no one told me to do anything so I just walked away.  Felt like crap after that one too.  I felt pretty much useless and unwanted! 

Based on those volunteer experiences, I never feel good volunteering.  They always seem very unorganized and I end up feeling like crap for whatever reason. 

But I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.  I keep thinking the next volunteer opportunity will be better.

I signed up for the Tattoo Air Force Festival last weekend working the merchandise booth.  Well, a big ol' derecho moved in and destroyed a lot of stuff there so I ended up not volunteering there.

This weekend I signed up to volunteer for the air show.  I was working from 7am-1230pm.  Was going to be a high of 108!!!



But I've run in the 90 degree weather so I can stand around and served beer in 108 degree weather, right?  At least that's what I was thinking.  And then I couldn't sleep in so that bummed me out but I was able to get up.

So I drove 30 minutes there.  I parked.  Took a picture of the area when I parked.


You can see some of the stuff in the background.

So the people who I was volunteering for were supposed to be at the gate and inside the grounds.  There was just a grumpy old man checking our vendor passes.  Ok, I said to myself, I'm sure there will be a volunteer check in on the grounds.  But there wasn't!  There wasn't anything!  There were tents set up for food etc. but not a lot of people around and no one who would know to ask.  No vendor/volunteer check in.  NOTHING!  What kind of operation is this?  So I decided I'm not going to give up.  I walked approximately half the long aisle where everything is set up and then turned around.  It was a long way I walked and couldn't find crap.  So I gave up.  I wanted this to be a good experience and help out and it didn't happen.  I drove 30 minutes for nothing.  So I basically walked to my car and left.  Here are a couple pictures I took on my way back.




Have you ever had a bad volunteer experience?  A good one?  I'd love to hear about them.

So here I was at 7:30 am at this point.  I decided to go ahead and run some errands.  Hit up Krogers, then Tim Horton's for an EXTRA large coffee.


YUM!


Love coffee!  Then I decided on a whim to get a car wash.  I haven't had a car wash in months.  It was time.  I go thru the automated one where you just swipe your credit card.  I love it!  Unfortunately, I forgot to take off my 26.2 magnet and so I guess it came off there.  I'm too lazy to go back and find it.  Just an excuse to go get another one at the AF Marathon Expo! ;)  Here are some cool pics from the car wash.  Yes, I'm a dork! haha!







2 comments:

  1. What the heck???? Who organizes these things? How aweful!!!!! OMG!!!! I am so sorry! That is terrible!!! WOW! I am floored about your experiance!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dunno! I wish they would be more organized or something. I'm signed up to volunteer at the AF marathon so hopefully that will run smoothly. Guess we'll find out.

    ReplyDelete

Tendy Metal Signs Giveaway! (Ends Sept 10th)

Welcome to the Aluminum Trendy Sign Giveaway! This is part of our Back To School Gift Guide , so please check it out! This contest is...