Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Oh, how I've missed you, GNATS!

This post is an ode to all the quirks of being a runner.  All the things that normal people don't realize us runners go through at times.  This is not all inclusive because my brain is quite forgetful so there may be sequels to this post.  :)

So I've been on a running hiatus for 7 months.  Thought I was retired but I was wrong about that.  So yesterday I began my marathon training and realized how much I forgotten about little quirks that had to do with running. 

Today I ran smack dab into the one I hate the most.  GNATS! 




And for whatever reason, while you're running you normally don't see them.  So all of a sudden they're in your face, eyes, ears, hair, body, and worse yet - if you're breathing with your mouth open - your mouth!  Yes, that would be me.  It is even worse when its really hot outside because you slam into them and their dead bodies are stuck all over your sweaty body.  You like a freakin' car with bug guts everywhere!

Anyway, the next thing are bumble bees.  I don't encounter these suckers a lot but when I do - they tend to be massive beasts like this:

buzzy. This little bee looks like a miniature bumble bee.  Often seen on flowers in the garden, and are very friendly.  Will not bite unless pinched.


The next thing I was thinking about was how I wave to other runners on the course.



I guess its a law to do that?  I have no idea.  I don't know how I even picked it up.  Don't remember.  But I tend to wave at all the runners unless they have their heads down, look pissed off, or are a female/male couple where the male is a hottie.  LOL! 

Ok, to explain the couple thing - I've had some evil glares from some women when I used to do it.  Dang, just tryin' to be friendly!  I'm hopelessly single so I have NO idea what the women are thinking.  Although I did talk to a co-worker of mine and she confirmed my observations that women don't like it.   OMG sorry for being friendly.  haha 

I don't really wave at anyone else (bikers, walkers, roller bladers).  Bikers are in their own zone most of the time although sometimes I will say hi in passing and vice versa.  Walkers are the most pissed off people I've ever seen hahaha!  At least that is my observation..don't get me wrong some are nice but most  have sour faces.  And then the roller bladers are off in outer space.  haha!  Wild bunches of individuals out there that's for sure.

And now we have the bathroom discussion.  To go during a race or not to go?

Should you pass it by and hope you can hold it the whole time?



Or are you about to burst that seeing a porta potty is like seeing it at the end of a rainbow?



Any race less than a marathon, I do not go.  I hold it.  My first marathon I was a complete nut and held it THE ENTIRE TIME and then some.  Seriously, I was about to burst around the 15th mile but I didn't want to stop running.  It hurt so bad.  Funny how after I finished the marathon I didn't feel like I had to go anymore.  I did not go until I got home probably an hour or so after the race.  Weird.  The next two marathons I went twice.  Oh and just a disclaimer, I'm talking about #1 here lol.  Have not had an experience with #2 race day.  Funny how on the two marathons I went to the bathroom twice, I was off my first marathon time by approx. 10 minutes.  Maybe if I'd stop going to the bathroom so much I'd get under the 5 hour mark. 

And the BEST thing about running?  BEING OUTSIDE!  You can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl.  Brings me right back to when I was a kiddo living in the country.  LOVE IT! 




2 comments:

  1. LOVE this post!!!!!!!! ALL are SO true!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girl! Us runners sure can relate to each other :).

    ReplyDelete

MamatheFox's Annual Gift Guide Giveaway! (Ends Dec 16th)

Welcome to the MamatheFox's Annual Gift Guide Giveaway - for the Grown-Ups! This amazing giveaway features items that any grown-up wo...