Monday, May 28, 2012

The Crazy Bug has bit me again! Might run an ULTRA - 50k

Backstory:  I started running races in October 2007.  Since that time I've ran 3 marathons and countless other less mileage races.  In November of last year, I was so fed up with running that I basically did not run or workout for 7 months. 

Which brings me to today.  I decided (after writing THIS post and some soul searching) that I could not pass up the Air Force Marathon this year.  It is just an awesome party!  So I signed up.  I thought to myself that this would be the only race I would run.  WRONG.

I saw a 5k race in my old neighborhood where I grew up!  It is the first year for it and of course I can't pass it up!  And its for Sisca.org (an animal charity) so I'm running on familiar grounds and supporting a good cause.  If you would like to donate, you can click on the banner right here ------>

So anyways, I signed up for it today.  Also, today I decided to run on a 3 mile trail because of the heat (nice and shady).  It was still super duper hot but it was totally more interesting than my normal bike trail I run on.  I get SO bored on that trail.  Music helps but its still quite boring.  The trail mixes things up.  I absolutely loved running on it today.  So that got me thinking - why not sign up for a trail half marathon? 

I did one back in the day - like 2009?  It was Dances With Dirt Half Marathon trail race.  It was in Wisconsin.  Here are a few pictures:

Starting out

This was probably midway through

Finished!



These pictures we took afterwards - we actually ran a lot in those hills.

Jen, Francis, and I after the race

Us again

Me, Jen, Francis, and Rod (who ran the FULL trail marathon) at the finish line

I tell you what.  That was the hardest race but the funnest race EVER!  So not boring...you could get lost at the drop of a hat or fall off the edge of a cliff.  Thankfully, I didn't do either but almost wiped out a few times on some rocks and I was nervous there were bears out there (there weren't).  I had SO much fun.  So why not do it again?  So I went ahead and signed up!  I'm going to do it all by myself this time.  I got this.

Dances with Dirt also has a race in Hell, Michigan.  Its only 4 hours away so its incredibly convenient.  It is a week after the Air Force Marathon.  Unfortunately, the smallest race they have is a 50k!!!!!  So that is like 31 miles.  I've never run that much ever.  But if I'm training for a marathon the week before, its only 5 more miles.  Big woop.  Right?  Bwhahahaha I guess we'll find out!  I'm definitely thinking about it.  I think it would be so much fun!  I am going to wait and see how the Wisconsin race is before I sign up for the Ultra but I'm seriously considering it. 

Guess I better get some trail shoes!  Anyone have any suggestions? 

1 comment:

  1. You'll do whatever you make up your mind to do! You're an inspiration to others of us that need to get back into the game!

    ReplyDelete

MamatheFox's Annual Gift Guide Giveaway! (Ends Dec 16th)

Welcome to the MamatheFox's Annual Gift Guide Giveaway - for the Grown-Ups! This amazing giveaway features items that any grown-up wo...