Saturday, March 10, 2012

Bone Broth

As some of you might already know, I strive to avoid carbs at all times.  I kept hearing through my zero carb and paleo circles about bone broth.  Basically you use bones to make a broth and its zero carb yet very nutritious.  Some of the vitamins you get from drinking this are magnesium, phosphorus, and calcium.  And those are vitamins most Americans are sorely lacking.  Plus it has a ton of gelatin which helps with nails, hair, and skin.  So I'm hoping to start looking totally fab after a while of drinking this! 

So here is how I made it. 

I went to the local Krogers and got some bones.  I guess they sometimes have them out - but they didn't have them out when I was there.  So I asked the butcher dude for some bones.  He brought out this HUGE bone...like a thigh of a cow or something.  It looked like a thigh of an elephant if you asked me - wish I would have taken a pic!  So he asked if I just wanted the middle part (these would look like circles when cut) and I knew from reading about bone broth that the knuckles (the joint part of the bone) have excellent nutritional elements too so I said I wanted it all.  So he cut it up and packaged it for me.  I bought five packages.  I ended up using 3 packages (about 4lbs) and freezed the other 2 packages.


To do this, I needed a crock pot and I did not have one.  So I scooted off to Meijers and found some.  No pink ones.  :(  LOL!  The biggest ones they had was 6 qts.  So I bought a red one (close enough to pink lol). 


Next, I preheated the oven to 375.  I read on the internet that it is better to roast the bones in the oven before making the broth.  It was said that it makes the broth taste even better and gives it a richer color.  Here are the bones about to go in the oven.


You roast them for about 50 minutes.  Then you stick them into your crock pot.


Here's a view of the bones after they've been roasted.


Then I filled it with water about 2/3rds full.  Then I added two tablespoons of vinegar.  I used white because thats all I had.  I think others recommend apple cider vinegar. 


Then you turn the crock pot on low for 24-48 hours.  I only did 24 hours the first time because I wanted to make a second batch. 


Here is a picture of it still cooking but almost done.


Then when it is done, turn off the crock pot and let it cool a bit.  Then you pour it into containers using a strainer (so there is no gunk in the broth). 


Do not put it in the microwave at this point.  I learned that lesson the hard way.  The fat (and there is A LOT of fat) is mixed in with the broth at this point and will explode if you put it in the microwave.  At least it did for me.  SO...what you're supposed to do is let it cool down in the fridge and wait for it to form a fat layer on top as shown below.


Then you cut through it and get the broth underneath.  Then you can heat it up in the microwave with no issues.  SO yummy!!!!  And zero carbs!  YAY! 


 




2 comments:

  1. Cool girl! So do you make soup with this and use it in recipes or just drink it by itself or all of the above?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do both but right now I'm just drinking it. Maybe I'd add chicken to it sometime - or maybe put an egg in it for egg drop soup. Maybe try putting spagetti squash in it for noodles - don't know if that will work but I can experiment.

    ReplyDelete

Bath Kneeler & Elbow Cushion Giveaway! (Ends Nov 2nd)

Sponsored By:  QueBébé Hosted By:  Love, Mrs. Mommy Co-Hosted By: Easter Babe's Theory 10 Winners will receive:  A ...